Scarborough Borough Council has been awarded £50,000 from the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) Coastal Revival Fund to restore the much loved West Pier lighthouse in Whitby.
The DCLG described the council’s proposed restoration project as “one of the very best” in a hard fought battle for funding, which was three times oversubscribed, with a total of 222 bids all competing to receive a share of £9 million.
Serious deterioration of the lighthouse and a lack of funds to rectify the problems, forced the council to close it in 2012. The grant from the Coastal Revival Fund will now allow the council to embark on restoration of the structure. The money will pay for repairs to external stone work, repointing of the tower and re-roofing, internal works to glazing, windows and staircase and also steel reinforcing.
Cllr Derek Bastiman, Leader of Scarborough Borough Council said:
“This is fantastic news for Whitby and we are delighted that the DCLG has recognised the special significance of this restoration project. The money will enable us to return the lighthouse to its rightful position within the community as a celebration of Whitby’s past and as a cultural beacon for generations to come.”
The West Pier lighthouse was built in 1831 from locally quarried stone. It stands 22 metres tall and is approximately 2.5 metres in diameter. It served as a navigational aid to shipping with its light visible for more than 10 miles up until 1914 when its function was replaced by more modern navigational aids. However, the building itself remained and in 1972 the lighthouse became a Grade II listed structure.
Since 1974 the lighthouse and the pier upon which it stands have been owned by the council’s Whitby Harbour Authority. The lighthouse was open to the public as a historic attraction for those visiting and living in Whitby up until its closure in 2012.
All photography by Glenn Kilpatrick – www.whitby-photography.com