Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
Some form of harbour protection at the mouth of the River Esk was present in the early 1300’s.
Protection was achieved by a combination of Tate Hill Pier, Scotch Head and West Pier and construction was likely to have comprised timber, boulders and stone collected form cliff falls.
In 1632 West Pier was rebuilt using sandstone blocks. Repairs, rebuilding and lengthening continued throughout the 1600’s, 1700’s and 1800’s. An extension was added to the pier between 1908 and 1914 and an interceptor wall was added to the bullnose of the main arm to reduce the swell entering the harbour.