The Raft Race at Whitby Regatta is one of the first events the locals look for in The Regatta Programme. Local friends, groups and businesses build rafts and compete in the lower harbour for the coveted title of Regatta Raft Race Champions.
In the early days there were Barrel races in the harbour and its highly possible that the Raft Race as it is know now was born from this idea.
In recent times the raft race seems to have less entries than it once did. However in 2014 the event saw a bumper year with Cricket legend and Ashes winner Andrew “Freedie” Flintoff taking part in the event with the lads from Fusco’s fish and chip restaurents.
As always, most of my photographs are available for purchase. Please get in touch at email@example.com for prices.
Further Reading On Whitby Regatta
- Whitby Regatta News
- Whats On At Whitby Regatta
- The Red Arrows
- The Firework Display
- Rowing Races
- Discuss The Regatta Over In Our Facebook Group
Whitby Regatta Dates For The Coming Years
- 15th, 16th & 17th August 2015
- 20th, 21st & 22nd August 2016
- 19th, 20th & 21st August 2017
- 11th, 12th & 13th August 2018
- 10th, 11th & 12th August 2019
- 15th, 16th & 17th August 2020
The Barrel Race. Perhaps The Idea Behind The Modern Day Raft Race. (Image not for sale).