Whitby Regatta 2013 Dates, Events, Programme, Times, Photographs & History – The Whitby Regatta 2013
Whitby Regatta 2013 Dates – 10th, 11th & 12th August 2013
View our 2012 Regatta Photo Gallery Here.
Gallery not found. Please check your settings.
Whitby Regatta Events And Times For 2012
Whitby Regatta Saturday 18th August 2012 Events
- Under 11 Beach Soccer Festival, Saturday 18th August 10am – 2pm £5 Entry Fee Per Team
- Rowing Races – Please see official Whitby Regatta Program For Times
Whitby Regatta Sunday 19th August 2012 Events
- Red Arrows At Whitby Regatta – 12 Noon Sunday August 19th 2012 A fantastic display by the RAF Red Arrows.
- Motor Cycle Gymkhana, Sunday 19th August 10:00am, Skill and fun on two wheels taking place on Whitby’s beach.
- Whitby Regatta 4K Fun Run Sunday 19th August 10am From Crescent Gardens and is run predominantly on the sea wall
- Vintage, Post war, Classic & Sports Car Rally, Sunday August 19th 10:00am, Many elegant cars will compete in various classes for prestigious trophies.
- Whitby Regatta Rowing Races - Sunday August 19th Rowing races of all age groups across the full Regatta weekend. Please see official Whitby Regatta Program For Times
Whitby Regatta Monday 20th August 2012 Events
- The Whitby Regatta Grand Parade – Monday 20th August, Please see the Regatta Programme for the parade times, A parade of many decorated thumbed floats will make it’s way through the heart of the Regatta celebrations.
- Rowing Races - Monday August 20thth 2012 Rowing races of all age groups across the full Regatta weekend. Please see official Whitby Regatta Program For Times
- Spectacular Fireworks Display At Whitby Regatta Monday 20th August 2012 Barrage after barrage of rockets, star bursts, special effect shells, whistling mullet coloured rockets and numerous other different fireworks, are the theme of this years’ firework finale
The History Of Whitby Regatta
It started in a very small way with the fishermen competing against each other in their fishing smacks and salmon cobbles. Then came the yachts. It was recorded in 1847 “The Whitby Challenge Cup”, promoted by the Royal Yorkshire Yacht Club, was won by the Schooner “Whiled”, and a prize of 50 guineas was presented to the captain or owner. Between that date and up to the nineteen thirties, yacht racing formed the greater part of the Regatta.
Unfortunately, due to the high cost of building these large yachts of approximately 20 tons, and a changing world, they slowly disappeared from the scene. The cost of maintaining such a yacht today must be astronomical. It was about 1872 that competitive rowing came into being. In that year, the Jet Works Amateur Rowing Club was formed, 1874 saw the birth of Scarborough Amateur Rowing Club and in 1879 the Friendship Amateur Rowing Club. Then came the Whitby Amateur Rowing Club in 1912, which later became the present day Whitby Fisherman’s Amateur Rowing Club. All three Clubs are still going strong today, forming one of the main attractions of today’s Regatta.
Over the years, rowing clubs from the Tyne to Scarborough have participated in Regattas held on the North East Coast, sadly only two Regattas are still being held, Scarborough and Whitby.
In 1901 the late Alderman JET Wilson J.P – C.C. of West Hartlepool presented the “Wilson Cup”. valued at £25, for competition to Rowing Clubs based between the Tyne and Humber. This is the most coveted trophy rowed for today. 1929 saw the first fancy dress and decorated carts, this was the forerunner of the present day regatta and carnival. It is recorded that in 1900, 11,000 people travelled by special trains from the West Riding, York, Bridlington and Newcastle. Today that figure is estimated at 20,000, most travelling by coach and private car.
You Can Read Lots More On The Regatta Over At The Official Website.
Future Dates For Whitby Regatta Are :
- 2012 -18TH 19TH AND 20TH AUGUST
- 2013 -10TH 11TH AND 12TH AUGUST
- 2014- 9TH 10TH AND 11TH AUGUST
- 2015 -15TH, 16TH AND 17TH AUGUST
- 2016 -20th, 21ST AND 22ND AUGUST
The Red Arrows At Whitby Regatta
Here is our gallery of pictures from recent regattas including Whitby regatta 2011. Over the next few days we aim to add a lot more pictures so please add this page to your favorites and be sure to call back for some amazing regatta shots by Glenn Kilpatrick And Tom Brodrick. You may click on the images to view full sized photographs. Please note, these images are copyright to Real Whitby And The Reading Rooms Gallery.
Whitby Regatta Videos