UPDATE: Jaconelli and Savile – the cover up continues
Jaconelli and Savile – the cover up continues
– Corruption Buster Tim Hicks updates the week’s developments in the on-going Jaconelli/Savile cover-up.
For some time, Real Whitby has been running a series of articles on Jimmy Savile and his activities in Scarborough. Specifically, I have alleged that Savile operated in a paedophile-ring led by Councillor Peter Jaconelli (now deceased), and that corrupt Police Officers and the Local Authorities left him and his associates alone to carry on offending, because of Jaconelli’s status as Mayor and his close friend Jimmy Savile’s status as a major national celebrity.
I have also raised concerns that:
- Had North Yorkshire Police acted on the information that was available to them and questioned Jaconelli in the 1970’s, it could well have led them to Savile – and to Savile’s arrest. It would certainly have protected generations of young people from Jaconelli’s abuse.
- In response to an enquiry by Sussex Police in 2007, North Yorkshire Police Force Intelligence Bureau did not apparently pass on information that Savile was a known associate of Jaconelli (who was widely known to be a paedophile) and had featured as a person of interest in a 2007 paedophile investigation in Scarborough, because North Yorkshire Police did not want to admit that it had allowed a paedophile-ring to operate with impunity for years – for no other reason than that it perceived its members to be too important to prosecute.
- Had the Force Intelligence Bureau responded fully to the enquiry from Surrey Police in 2007, it could for a second time have led to Savile’s arrest.
- Nine police officers from West Yorkshire Police and possibly North Yorkshire Police had inappropriate contact with Savile in a private Social Club which met every Friday morning at his flat near Roundhay Park, Leeds.
- In response to a letter from Surrey Police to Jimmy Savile declaring their intention to interview him under caution at a Police Station in Surrey, a West Yorkshire Police Inspector identified only as “Inspector 5”, contacted Surrey Police in an official telephone call (apparently acting as Savile’s agent or PA), and ensured instead that he was interviewed in Stoke Mandeville Hospital, not a Police station (where he could be interviewed under caution with his responses being taped and available as evidence against him), thereby undermining the Surrey enquiry.
A retired Police Inspector from West Yorkshire has now been referred to the IPCC and this is thought to be “Inspector 5”.
IPCC Commissioner Cerfontyne has commented:
- “Furthermore I believe that all the forces that may have had intelligence concerning the late Jimmy Savile should now go back and consider all the relevant information and materials they possess that may highlight any recordable conduct issues for the IPCC to assess. A number of bodies are already working to address the deep rooted public concern in this case and have published reports. It is now for the IPCC to assess thoroughly whether or not there are matters in relation to the conduct of individual officers that require an IPCC investigation. This may be of little comfort to victims of crime but I hope that the IPCC can play some part in addressing what many see as a catalogue of institutional failings.”
On the 12th of March, a report was issued by HM Inspector of Constabulary (HMIC) admitting serious failures of Police intelligence across several forces and conceding that Savile was left alone because of his celebrity status - as I have consistently alleged, throughout this investigation.
Although North Yorkshire is not mentioned in the report, the North Yorkshire Police Force Intelligence Bureau has been the subject of allegations of misconduct in Parliament and in the national press over the Hofschröer fraud and associated Police corruption case. I will be writing to HMIC and the IPCC in due course, bringing their attention to the allegations of failure to pass on information by the Force Intelligence Bureau.
Other articles on the HMIC report – which makes disturbing reading – are may be viewed here:
The cover up continues
As a result of the Real Whitby coverage of Jaconelli and Savile, a number of people have felt able to come forward and denounce Jaconelli as a dangerous and predatory paedophile who operated relatively openly and with the acquiescence of North Yorkshire Police:
- Councillor Geoff Evans, who confirmed that Jaconelli was a paedophile and had propositioned him, a criminal offence now commonly referred to as “grooming” (Section 14 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003), but in those days a criminal offence under the Sexual Offences Act 1956 (variously referred to as corrupting a minor, procuring or soliciting), which was taken very seriously by the Courts at the time. Councillor Evans has also confirmed that Jaconelli was well known to the police and authorities as a pervert but was left alone because of his close connections to the Police.
- A number of people have posted comments on Real Whitby and elsewhere confirming that Jaconelli sexually assaulted boys who worked for him at his icecream parlours and at the Ippon Judo Club.
- Trevor Harrington, who in his moving email stated: “I was a member of his Ippon Judo Club and also worked for him at his ice cream parlours as a boy. I can confirm from personal experience that all of the allegations published about this man are entirely correct and he was a predatory paedophile, who preyed on local children. Other witnesses have posted confirmation of the same, including that he had convictions for offences of indecency. His activities were well known by locals and I do not think for one minute that the authorities were not aware of this, which I consider yet another blight that needs attention”.
- A commenter on the Scarborough News web-site, who confirmed that Jaconelli was a Governor at Raincliffe School, was well known as a paedophile and abused children there. We are aware that Savile also visited Raincliffe School and this has opened up another line of enquiry. We are currently pursuing this with North Yorkshire County Council (the Local Education Authority) to ascertain if Jaconelli was a Governor of any other schools but they have thus far been unable to locate records of Governorships so long ago.
This has validated the concerns we have raised about Jaconelli’s relationship with Scarborough Borough Council, North Yorkshire County Council and North Yorkshire Police. They have also been raised subsequently in the national press, so one would think there would be a denial or at least some reaction from the Authorities concerned. However, -incredibly- the response has been a thunderous silence:
- Chief Constable Tim Madgwick has not issued any statement denying these grave allegations, although he has been offered the opportunity to do so.
- Scarborough Council Leader Tom Fox (also the Officer commanding Policing in Scarborough before his retirement) during the time that Savile and Jaconelli were actively committing offences has not responded to Nigel Ward’s question submitted on the 18th of February:
“What is the intention of the Leader in respect of the many serious allegations, every bit as horrific as those against Jimmy SAVILE, against former Councillor and Mayor Peter JACONELLI, in respect of his status as Alderman of the Borough. Is there a process in train for the Council to adopt the same approach as in the SAVILE case?”
- Mr Trevor Harrington has not had any response from SBC to his Formal Complaint about Jaconelli requesting that Jaconelli is stripped of his Aldermanship, which was submitted on the 13th of February 2013. It has simply been ignored.
- None of our requests to confirm whether or not officers of North Yorkshire Police attended Savile’s Friday Morning Club in Leeds, or any other social functions with Savile have received a response from West Yorkshire or North Yorkshire Police.
- As yet, none of our Freedom of Information requests have been answered.
I wonder why this is? Do they have something to hide? Even now, are they still trying to protect Jaconelli’s reputation and the reputations of North Yorkshire Police, Scarborough Borough Council and North Yorkshire County Council, the Local Education Authority that let local children down so badly, by acquiescing to Jaconelli’s offending?
I consider that a policy of simply maintaining a right to silence in the face of grave and well documented allegations of misconduct is contrary to the public interest.
I would again appeal for a full and open statement from North Yorkshire Police, Scarborough Borough Council and North Yorkshire County Council on what they know and an apology or some statement of regret, to clear the air and resolve this matter.
If any reader has information that he/she wishes to pass on to the Metropolitan Police investigation into the activities of Savile and his associates in Scarborough and Whitby, they should contact:
The Operation Yewtree Incident Room, on 0208 217 6446 in complete confidence, indicating they are doing so pursuant to the Real Whitby investigation.
All Real Whitby SAVILE articles